12 July 2010

Continuing in the Old Paths part II

We are looking at "Continuing in Old Time Doctrine." We are currently looking at Bible Doctrines and we began by studying the doctrine of salvation. We will now finish noting the Means of Salvation.

2) Atonement
Atonement is the Old Testament term for the temporary covering of sin. The High Priests would have to come year after to sacrifice the blood of a spotless lamb, pointing forward to the day when The Spotless Lamb of God would shed His precious blood for our sin!
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. – Romans 5:11

3) Redemption
Let’s begin by defining redemption. Redemption is the divine act by which Jesus Christ paid the whole demand of the Law against the sinner setting him free from the curse and bondage of Law forever! Hallelujah! It is this aspect of salvation that we will be singing about in Heaven.
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; - Revelation 5:9
Why is redemption so important? Let’s look at the Greek words translated “redeem”.
There are four.
a) Agorazo – this means to buy in the market place
b) Exagorazo – this means to purchase out of the market place never to be sold again
c) Lutrao – to set free by paying a price
d) Apolutrosis – full or complete loosing
Put these definitions together and we have the blessed fact that I was a slave in the slave market of sin, but Jesus Christ shed His own precious blood on the cross of Calvary, buying me out of the slave market, never again to be sold! He indeed set me free! Free from sin’s penalty! Free from sin’s power! Praise His holy name! – one day, I will be free from sin’s presence! “Thank God I am free, free, free from this world of sin. Washed in the blood of Jesus, I’ve been born again! Hallelujah, I’m saved, saved, saved by His wonderful grace. I’m so glad that I found out that He would bring me out and show me the way!”
4) Propitation
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. – I John 2:2
Propitation is the final means of salvation that we will notice. Propitation means simply that God’s righteous wrath against sin and the sinner has been appeased because Christ bore all the penalty of sin on the Cross. I am so glad that He bore sin’s penalty for me! I could never have been able to satisfy God’s righteous wrath, but He did! Hallelujah for the means of salvation – substitution, atonement, redemption, and propitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment